- Steve Wilson, Steve WilsonFormer Principal Lecturer, Northumbria University, Newcastle
- Helen Rutherford, Helen RutherfordSenior Lecturer, Northumbria University, Newcastle
- Tony Storey, Tony StoreySenior Lecturer, Northumbria University, Newcastle
- Natalie WortleyNatalie WortleyAssociate Professor, Northumbria University, Newcastle
- and Birju KotechaBirju KotechaSenior Lecturer, Northumbria University, Newcastle
This chapter introduces you to the study of the English legal system in higher education. After explaining some of the different expectations of studying at this level, the chapter’s focus is on how you will learn and how to succeed on the module. There is considerable advice and tips on how to get the most out of lectures and seminars. The coverage introduces some key terminology and emphasises the importance of independent research and reading both primary (legislation and case law) and secondary sources (textbooks and journal articles). Finally, the chapter discusses and provides guidance on how to tackle commonly used assessments such as written essays, oral presentations, and examinations.